Sustainability Project Specialist
“A unique and fantastic opportunity to play a crucial role in the development of sustainable organic farming methods and FairTrade practices, while empowering workers and farmers and helping local communities of Thailand. “
The ideal candidate would have 5 years' experience in agronomy ideally in the field of regenerative organic coconuts farming and will be ready now for a next level to develop more project management skills. This position will allow him/her to define an experimental protocol, collect and analyze data in order to define best practices to improve farming methods with 2/3 time on the farms and 1/3 on office tasks as part of a project team.
Good communication skills, team player, ability to manage change and engage people as well as a solid agronomist background will be key for the success of this position. Next steps for the candidate could lead to a managerial position within the sourcing team.
Reporting to the Sustainability & Mission Manager, the Sustainability Project Specialist helps engaging our company in the transformation of its upstream Supply Chain, focusing primarily on its producers and their farming methods. You will facilitate the implementation and the monitoring of the company’s sustainable sourcing strategy in coordination with a wide range of stakeholders, from farmers, harvesters, brokers and other market operators, to scientific experts, community development specialist, governmental and non-governmental institutional partners.
The Sustainability Project Specialist contributes significantly to the implementation of the Sustainable Coconut Center (S2C) project. This initiative aims at creating a self-sustained entity dedicated to regenerative, sustainable farming of coconuts.
Other initiative such as providing training, quality control or conduct experiment and develop best practices will be also part of the scope.
The Sustainability Project Specialist supports and assists the Sustainability & Mission Manager with the following tasks:
- Manage and coordinate with the third-party non-for-profit project implementor
- Participate in relevant Stakeholders Committees
- Bring project to completion within given timeline and budget
- Coordinating and organizing projects/activities within Harmless Harvest and with other relevant partners (coconuts farmers, none for profit organization, …)
- Building relationships with project partners (university, non-profit organization …) and farmers networks
- Research in order to build recommendations to advise on strategies/practices for sustainable coconut cultivation techniques and experimental protocol linked to it
- Providing technical support for the operation of the field activities such as training and technical advice about sustainable coconut cultivation and soil improvement methods by developing best practices regarding cover crop, compost, pest management …
- Collecting data on the coconut production system to monitor progress such as soil sampling, Brix & pH testing, yield estimate …
- Build detailed analysis Support change with a can-do attitude and engage people
Regenerative Organic & Fairtrade standards
- Understand the laws and regulations under which food crops must be produced.
- Understand requirement to be compliant with organic farming regulation, including USDA NOP, EU Organic Program and regenerative organic standards (ROC)
- Support implementation of new certification (ROC) (create new material, participate in pre audit certification, …)
- Develops and maintains good working relationships with farmers and other local partners (including farmers groups, local government, etc.)
- Communicates and promotes the project’s interests and exchanges ideas and information for the benefit of theproject
Qualifications & Experiences
- Bachelors of Science Degree in Agronomy or related field (Masters degree preferred)
- 3-5 years of work experience in agriculture, horticulture or agronomy experience in an organic certified environment,
- Experience dealing with farmers and perishable products, as well as certification bodies a plus
- Certified Professional Agronomist (CPAg) a plus
- Coconut farming experience a plus
- Experience in FairTrade a plus
- This position requires excellent creative, analytical, communication skills.
- Able to work flexible hours.
- Change management skills
- Flexible and creative problem solving.
- Highly thorough and accurate.
- Highly detail oriented and organized
- Ability to travel frequently by car (valid driving license) and work on the field, on the farms on a daily basis
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, including ability to train and work with operational personnel on the farms
- Deadline oriented with ability to organize assignments, set priorities and carry out plans.
- Passionate and high-energy individual who wants to develop in a fast-growing and innovative company.
- Proficient in Thai and English.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office tools.
- Candidates must be eligible to work in Thailand to be considered.
- Warm/wet environments
- Able to drive with a valid driving license and a car
- Ability to periodically lift, push and pull 10+ kilograms, stand, walk, kneel, bend, and reach.
Tell us what you’re looking for and we’ll match you to the most relevant Hospital Please provide some additional details for your application Almost there - Please provide some details about your job search in general